Antifon cartoons

.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Celt with Bouboulina's soul

I would be willing to bet that most of Greeks and gCypriots have no idea of the unconditional love for Hellenism emanating from Scotland. A comment by Aine O'Neill, our Laskarina Bouboulina from "Darkland" (Σκωτία), made an impression on me and I wish to share it with you.


"I come from a country which has a first class education system ie Scotland as acknowledged by England which admits that for generations the Scots have outperformed their English counterparts, we gave the world countless discoveries and inventions ie television, telephone, anesthetics, penicillin, antepsis, inflatable car tyre, fridge, fax, bicycle, logarithms, radar, the list is endless, all over the world our inventions and discoveries are used on a daily basis, the world's leading doctors including plastic surgeons are Scots, our ingenuity and expertise are second to none ..."

"I am of Irish ancestry hence the Irish flag and my Irish name. I have supported the Cyprus problem for thirty seven years and have been actively involved since then in London. I read and write Greek having had a private Athenian tutor twenty six years ago, I liken the occupied north of Cyprus with the occupied north of Ireland both artificial states and as an Irish republican we want the north back to be reunited with the south and as a Scottish nationalist I want a full independent Scotland as we have nothing in common with the English, ie language customs etc."

"Scotland shares a common history with Greece ie Doric (Δωρική) which is spoken in Scotland and was used in Makedonia, we have the same saint Aghios Andreas, Edinburgh is known as the Athens of the north because of its architecture, our music and dancing has its roots in Greece, the kilt originated from the foustanella, the word Σκωτια comes from Σκωτος meaning the dark, we know that Alexander came to Scotland not to conquer but to have a look and obviously perceived Scotland as a dark country as it's weather is usually wet and cold. We have a saying that we would rather die than be anybody's slave similar to ελευθερία η θάνατος."

"I see Cyprus as a Hellenic country it was, it is and it will always be Greek. I have said before and I'll say it again the Turks from Cyprus are a minority no more no less than the other minorities ie Latins, Armenians and Maronites and to give the Turks majority status which they believe they have a right to is deeply insulting to the other minorities. In fact the Latins have been there far longer than the Turks from Cyprus and you don't hear the other minorities demanding status as co-founders. The Turks from Cyprus are co founders of nothing it's all in their little non existent brains, they were an 18% minority much less now I believe and must accept minority status in a majority Greek country ( Greek as in Hellenistic not enosis with Greece). Anybody can debate with me but make sure they know their subject matter as I do because what I say is factually correct I don't make unfactual comments and I won't be insulted by an uneducated thief such as .... or anybody else for that matter."

" ... I know and that's what binds us plus I have a Greek soul, I love the music and dancing, attend most of the concerts in London, play nothing but Greek music in the flat and in the car and I have a home in Chania, Crete where I'll move to next year. I stalled my young nephew in the Greek school system in London and he helps in the local Greek church every Sunday as we left the Catholic faith four years ago and were re-baptised Greek Orthodox, he has a godmother who is half Greek Cypriot, his other one is Athenian and mine is Greek Cypriot so although I love Scotland and Ireland with a passion I equally love Hellenism."

"Yes Antifon post the link there are two more things, firstly we were told that Aghios Andreas remains were taken to the monastery in Iona for internment, Iona is a small island in Scotland I was told this in primary school, also the bagpipes originate from the gaida from Greece, plus we are warriors like our Hellenic cousins, a gCypriot once likened me to Boumboulina a compliment indeed."

"MA. English unis accept low grades in the A levels for entrance qualifications whereby if an English person wants to study at a Scottish uni he/she must have the highest grades in the A levels. Gordonstoun a public school in Scotland had former pupils such as Alexander Onassis and Stavros Niarchos, the unis are full of Greeks and Greek Cypriots who know the benefits of a Scottish education.Glasgow has the Greek dancing groups, Hellenic clubs and a high proportion of the students don't return home but stay in Glasgow, the community is thriving."


All Time Popular Posts

Last 7 Days Popular Posts

Followers

Turkey's Kurds & Cyprus' tCypriots

As either unitary state or federation solutions are discussed as replacements to Cyprus' 1960 and Turkey's 1923 unworkable constitutions, should we abide by "if a right is a right too many for Turkey's Kurdish community (circa 23% of population) then that right is a right too many for Cyprus' tCypriot community too (circa 15%), and vice versa." Is the adoption of this fair logic the catalyst to securing just solutions for both UN countries.